Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Forgiveness is more than saying sorry.

Matthew 5:23-24
The Message (MSG)
 23-24"This is how I want you to conduct yourself in these matters. If you enter your place of worship and, about to make an offering, you suddenly remember a grudge a friend has against you, abandon your offering, leave immediately, go to this friend and make things right. Then and only then, come back and work things out with God."


Matthew 18:21-35
The Message (MSG)
21At that point Peter got up the nerve to ask, "Master, how many times do I forgive a brother or sister who hurts me? Seven?"
 22Jesus replied, "Seven! Hardly. Try seventy times seven.


I've been thinking a lot about forgiveness lately. There have been some circumstances more recently in my life that, if I were not a Christian, I would most likely feel entitled to hold a grudge. In fact, I got to the place where I could feel it starting to build up. I immediately felt the conviction of the Holy Spirit regarding my attitude. I had been wronged, yes. But He has provided me with the tools to overcome it. I know from past experience that holding a grudge and a spirit of unforgiveness is spiritually unhealthy. I may have verbally tried to fix things, but internally I was still raging. I felt the wedge I was driving in between myself and God. In that circumstance, I thought I had done things right... I went to that person to make things right before presenting my offering to God. But that verse didn't say "verbally apologize" it says MAKE THINGS RIGHT. That means I had tocompletely forgive the person who wronged me, admit my wrongdoings as well, drop my self-defenses, and wholly make things right. To forgive the person who wronged me not once, not twice, but seventy times seven! But I didnt do that, at least not immediately. When I felt that rage start to boil, I should have been forgiving that person over and over. Instead, I added fuel to the fire and caused it to burn bigger and brighter than ever. Why? Because I was not obedient to the Lord in forgiveness. And it wasn't until I was obedient that I felt peace over that situation and renewal in my spirit. And so it goes with what I'm going through now. If you're reading this, I ask that you pray for me. That I will be able to completely forgive those who have wronged me. That I will be obedient to the Lord so that I may be free of a grudging spirit. Forgiveness involves so much more than an apology. It must be part of our spiritual lifestyle. It must be part of MY spiritual lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment